International Race Day

Posted on 7:55 PM

Today I ran the Moscow International Peace 10k (it's actually called Moscow International Peace Marathon but I didn't do the marathon...). This was probably not the best idea I've ever had. I mean, I haven't been running since I arrived in Russia. But Becca was wanting to do the marathon and she talked Rick and I into running the 10k with her. So we did. We signed up yesterday at the Olympic Stadium from when the Olympics were held here in 1980! As soon as I signed up I realized what a crazy idea this was but none of us were in shape for the races we were running...when we were signing up there were Germans, Swiss people (what do you call them? Swits? No disrespect intended. I don't know...anyway.) and a bunch of other international people.
The race started right behind St. Basil's Cathedral (the view never gets old) and we ran along the Moscow River and by the Kremlin wall and saw all these amazing sights. There was one guy that ran the whole marathon barefoot. Insane. And all these old people (I was so proud of them-there was even this lady that had on a shirt from the same marathon in Moscow in 1989!!). After the race we met up with the Fishers, the British people from our church (Daniel had been running it, too) and they invited us over to eat and shower before Becca finished her marathon (those British people are just gems). We got back about 20 minutes before she finished and cheered her all the way in.
When we were picking up our bags from the tents, well let's just say modesty is not all that important. I saw a couple of boy butts that I sure didn't want to see. We had to ride the metro home which wasn't all that fun because we were all tired and carrying our bags and I mean, Becca just finished a MARATHON. So anyway. We got home and tried on our shirts which are huge but they're cool and of course have all Russian writing on them.
Oh yeah! And we got interviewed before the race started! We met people from everywhere and chatted with them and there were even some Americans there. Everyone cheers for each other in as many languages as they can because they don't know what you speak and some people would just yell "finish!" at the finish line. It was such a fun day and I'm glad to say that I did it!

Oh and. I bought a winter coat. There's no fur on the hood (which I wanted...) but it's real cute. And skinny jeans. I'm so Russian now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh that's so cool! minus the boy butts...ew. and i think the swiss are just known as the swiss. i miss you loads. i need to hear your dumey voice.

renee said...

skinny jeans!!! leah! *shaking head and disgusted sigh* ;)
as for the race, i'm super impressed and unworthy to be your friend. :)

Debbie said...

I love all the "old" people in the race. I sure hope you're talking older than your very young parents - ha, ha. I am SO impressed. I love that people there speak all those languages. Way to go! Congratulations on your first "not quite marathon, but almost"!!!

Post a Comment