I Turned 24 In Russia

Posted on 6:46 PM

Well my birthday was Monday! Oh gosh I'm getting old.  But anyway.  So when I was at the main campus teaching my 7th grade lesson, my kindergartners drew me pictures for my birthday and when I came back into the room, they were like, "No Leah!  No look!  Surprise!"  So I had to go color by myself while they finished ha.  But the teachers made the pictures into a book and the kids even wrote Happy Birthday on the front in English (with a little help) and they sang Happy Birthday to me (in English) and they were so excited to give me the book.  They made me sit down and flipped through the book telling me who drew each picture.  It was really sweet.  Then during naptime, we had tea time and Julie brought this delicious cherry and chocolate cake and the teachers sang to me and gave me flowers and said all this cheesy stuff about how I would blossom like a rose and it was so fun.  For dinner, ok there's this Italian restaurant like right across the street from our apartment and it looks really fancy and we have been wanting to go there since we moved in so we went for my birthday dinner!  And it was really fancy! And delicious!  Kristin and Rick came and went with me and my roommates and they treated me and then we came home and had brownies and they sang to me.  It was a wonderful birthday!


Then last night we went to Bible study with our international friends and there was a Russian couple there who just got married and Kostya shared his testimony about how he had been a heroine addict and his wife, Anya, translated for him. It was really cool and I really liked hearing their story.  

I've also started saying "oy" all the time.  Because Russians say "oy" instead of oops or oh or agh or things like that.  It's actually a  pretty versatile word.

Annnnd.  I found out my little President's granddaughter is from Turkmenistan.  So whoever the President is there, that's her grandfather.

So today I took my camera to school and took pictures of all the kids.  But these are my favorite kids.  I took these pictures at recess and it was about 60 degrees outside (they said there would be an Indian summer but they call it a babushka summer or something like that, so we were expecting snow a couple of weeks ago and today it was in the 60s.  Crazy) and they were all wearing their snowsuits!!  The changing clothes and shoes thing is still really funny to me. Anyway.  The kids:

Artyom is about the sweetest little boy ever.  I was not too sure about him at first because, yes, he has a rattail, but he loves speaking English and singing and coloring and playing dress up and tea parties and he loves me :)
My fifth graders.  Nika, the blond one, is probably the cutest girl you'll ever meet.  She has so much spunk and she's so outgoing-whenever she sees me around school she stops to talk to me.

Dana...my favorite :)  She's the one that speaks English, Russian, and Italian.  Her mom apparently used to be a Russian model and her dad is Saudi Arabian so she gets the good looks and the dark skin.  And she calls me Lee-lee, which I love.
Erica and Nastya.  One has a Russian name and the other not so much.  I swear Nastya looks like Cindy Lou Who from The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.  They're in Becca's class, so they're only 3, and when she was out for her surgery I taught them.
Alex, Dana's little brother.  He's my other favorite.  He is like a little old man caught inside the cutest boy you will ever see's body.  Like he wears little button up shirts with the sleeves rolled up and salmon colored pants and loafers.  Oh my gosh.  And he is so laid back and he does whatever he feels like and doesn't do what he doesn't feel like.  Like in PE when all the kids are acting like chickens he sort of sits there and looks at them like they're crazy.  The other Russian teachers call him The Prince.  He didn't want his picture taken and when I tried to take it, he told me we were not friends anymore.
Polina is also in Becca's class.  She's just really funny because she scowls all the time and Becca thought Polina hated her but when she was gone, Polina missed her! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment