Adapting...

Posted on 1:12 PM

Ok so yesterday Becca, Rick, Julia, and I found out that there is a Land's End here in Moscow and, not having winter coats or boots yet and having a free day, decided we could find it.  We searched for it online and found which metro stop it was at and figured that would be enough because once we got off the metro it shouldn't be too hard to find, right?  K well it was.  We maneuvered the metro fabulously (let me just say I'm almost an expert now at switching lines!) and when we got off we realized we were close to Red Square and the Kremlin which made it a little difficult because there are TONS of metro stops there and lots of tourist places.  We asked a couple of people for directions and no one answered us or knew where it was.  That's the thing with Russian culture-they pretty much stick to themselves and they don't really like to be bothered by others.  They don't smile at each other, either and I think that could be why I get a lot of stares and odd looks is because I smile at them not really thinking about it.  Or maybe I just wear weird clothes or something.


Anyway we went to this underground mall which was huge and crazy crowded and nope, we didn't find Land's End.  So no coat or boots yet.  It was a gorgeous day (like sunny and 65 degrees) so we decided to go to Victory Park (which again we had to figure out the metro).  It was amazing.  It is basically a monument to when they beat the Nazis during World War II.  They have all these fountains and a big grassy hill with MOCKBA (Moscow) spelled huge in flowers and then this really tall thing with all this writing on it and angels at the top with a centurion guy cutting off a dragon's head at the bottom.  There are old tanks and ships that you can climb on and a lot of skateboarders and rollerbladers are at the park.  We just walked around for awhile and took pictures and soaked up the sun.  It was very relaxing and so beautiful.  We didn't go into the World War II museum but it I think we are going there to celebrate the city's birthday on September 8th.  

This morning Bryan called me which was a pleasant surprise!  it is hard to experience all of these amazing things and not have my family and friends here to see it with me.  But it was fun talking to Bryan first thing in the morning (he woke me up...) and chat.  Today we have training (I'm not exactly sure what this entails) and tomorrow is our first teachers meeting where I will get my scarf!  

Oh funny story.  So I went grocery shopping and I was trying to buy milk and cereal.  Well the cereal I got right (you can't really mess up buying cereal) but the milk was a different story.  One of the other girls was with me and said there was a brand that was better than the others and pointed it out so I just grabbed it.  The next morning I poured it on my cereal and it turns out that it was this yogurty stuff that is called Kefyr (no clue how to spell it) and it's supposed to be very good for you but it's definitely not milk.  But I ate it anyway on my cereal and it wasn't too bad.  

Oh AND.  I was mistaken for a Russian three times yesterday (in different places/situations).  Which is cool because it means I'm fitting in somewhat.  I don't think my fashion fits in really, but still.  And I don't think I'll ever completely fit in, but it's ok to be a little different :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an adventure! I am so jealous!
Now do you believe me when I say you look Russian?
Ha

Post a Comment