And School Begins

Posted on 9:23 PM

Here's a quick (sort of) debrief:

On Thursday we had a meeting and met our teachers that we will be working with. I work in the Kindergarten center with 5 year olds and the teachers I work with are named Irina, Vika, and Angelika (Angelika is the only one that speaks English).
On Friday we had the big teacher's meeting where we had to wear the uniform and the president of the school met gave his visions for the future of the school. They introduce all the new teachers and the girls receive their scarves (pretty silky scarves) and the boys receive ties that all of the teachers wear on Mondays with the uniform. We set up the classroom and met some parents (all the moms are fabulous looking-like supermodels, I'm not kidding). I found out later that I will also be teaching 7th grade native English speakers Language Arts 5 hours a week and there are only about 3 students. I was really excited when I found out because I think it will be a nice change of pace from the 5 years olds!
Friday was Hannah Lapo's birthday so we bought her flowers (very Russian) and then we went to T.G.I. Friday's (very American) to celebrate.

This morning we went to the Pushkin Cafe (if you don't know who Pushkin is shame on you. Just kidding, he's this famous Russian poet...I have no clue what he wrote but at least I had heard his name before I came). It was really ritzy and the waiters even have sideburns and hairstyles to look like Pushkin and they have all these old books around and telescopes and ginormous globes. It was fantastic.

Pictures will be here soon...

1 comments:

Debbie said...

Your teaching assignment sounds perfect! What fun. Five year olds are so cute and Language Arts has ALWAYS been your thing. One more confirmation that you're in the right place, I guess :-). Love you bunches and miss you. Great post.

Post a Comment